1. Don’t pathologise trans identity. However, you must offer treatment for gender dysphoria with medication and surgery.
2. Only refer to people by language they want. However, it is fine for us to label you “cis”.
3. The real self is fundamentally separate from the material body. However, transforming one’s body can be crucial for personal wholeness.
4. Gender identity is a social construct. However, authentic identity may be attached to stereotypical male and female dispositions.
5. People should be free to believe in what they want. However, you must see the world through our ideological lens.
6. The trans community (1% of the population) must be listened to. However, the experiences of detransitioners (1% of trans community) should be ignored.
7. Children should not be able to smoke, drink alcohol, vote or get a tattoo. However, they should be able to consent to potentially irreversible medication.
8. You must understand us. However, you can never understand us because you haven’t had our lived experience.
9. If the media report a crime and specify it was committed by a trans person, this is transphobia. However, reporting an accolade and failing to mention the person is trans is erasure.
10. Be kind. However, it’s okay for us to throw slurs at those we disagree with.
James was suspended from his university course for launching a public petition trying to safeguard therapy and counselling for vulnerable children with gender dysphoria. You can support his case against Metanoia, and the UK Council for Psychotherapy here.
A trans person must be invited to comment on any news or politics item for balance.
No, not THOSE trans people.
Women do not exist. If you believe otherwise you are a biological essentialist. They are just ‘people with certain biological bits’ The word ‘woman’ should be erased as it is not inclusive.
However Transwomen are women. To say otherwise is heretical. They are not ‘people who are not women who say they are women’ because that would be mad!